I have been making a lot of new recipes lately. I enjoy cooking and I LOVE trying new things. Sometimes I stick to tried and true things when I need to just get dinners done. But when I’m feeling creative I like to try new things and see if it can become a tried and true for us.
What makes it a tried and true for our family?
1. It can’t be too hard to make or take too long or have too many complicated steps. Once in a while I don’t mind making something like that but most of the time I just do not have time!
2. I have to be able to find the ingredients in our commissary (grocery store on base). If it isn’t there, I’m not searching it out.
3. My husband has to like it.
4. The kids have to at least eat it without spitting it out. Ha. Ha.
5. and of course…I have to like it!
Cost doesn’t really play into it because I mix my meals up enough that I’m not concerned if something is overly expensive, I just wouldn’t have it as often.
So last week I made this Zuchhini Ricotta Cheesecake from 101 Cookbooks. The pictures on her blog looked so yummy! I couldn’t wait to try it. I wasn’t sure the kids would like it but I thought I’d give it a shot anyway.
Here is my zucchini grated and drained.
Next all the yummy ingredients ready to be mixed up…by now the smells were enticing…
Add the eggs, and mix. Then add the zucchini and mix some more.
Then you should really use a cheesecake pan but I don’t currently own one so I used a cake pan. Takes a little longer than an hour to cook and remember to let it set!
It tasted delicious. Roy thought it had rice in it. Oops! The flavor was really good. I didn’t think Samantha and Matthew would eat so much of it and I was bummed I didn’t get another piece.
Unfortunately it isn’t going on my tried and true. Something in it..or the mixture..maybe the shallots together with something else…gave me the burps. Isn’t that crazy? But that happens to me. Thanks Mom. I get these weird ..almost allergic..reactions to certain foods. Happened here. Bummer. Good though. Really good!